Chunky beats and a little ambient to close out September 2021. Most of this is old, but there are a couple new (2020 and later) tracks in here by Lindsheaven Virtual Plaza & SkyTwoHigh and Paul Blackford.
- International Debris / Smenell Field 00:00
- Tranquility Bass / They Came In Peace 04:44
- Luke Vibert / Rank Rink Ring 07:24
- Byzar / Phylyx 10:53
- Hong Kong Express / Numb 13:42
- Lindsheaven Virtual Plaza & SkyTwoHigh / Phoenix Sea 16:10
- Tiger / Orbit 20:37
- Micronaut / Quiet Shutter 22:45
- Paul Blackford / Twighlight Skyline 25:36
- The Aesthetics / Holy Slang 28:49
- We™ / Rain In Spain 31:08
- M.F. Outa 'National / Miles Out Of Time (Astrocentric Mix 'N' Beats) 34:37
- Pete Rock / Play Dis Only At Night 36:29
- Voigt Kampff / Anne 39:28
- Aeroc / Daisy Chains 42:31
- Vector Lovers / Liquid City 45:44
- Solvent / Science With Synthesizers 48:47
- Boards Of Canada / Everything You Do Is A Balloon 51:28
- Cabaret Voltaire / Project 80 56:34
As mentioned above there are only a couple new ("new") tracks in this hour. #6 Phoenix Sea by Lindsheaven Virtual Plaza & SkyTwoHigh is one, that's from their album Imaginary Pathways on No Problema Tapes. The other is #9 Twighlight Skyline by Paul Blackford from his album Betamax on CPU Records. Both of those are great albums and worth a listen.
While doing research for the tracklist links this week I found what looks like Voigt Kampff's bandcamp page. I see six new two-track EPs released there that I'm going to have to check out. They seem to be in a similar style to their album Used, a kind of faded trip-hop or instrumental hiphop. Might have to pick those up tomorrow on bandcamp day.
The closing track, Cabaret Voltaire's Project 80, is a giant 50-minute long piece from the excellent album The Conversation. I'm playing only a short excerpt of it here. It was first released in 1994 on Apollo and Instinct Records, and is thankfully available now from Intone Productions thru bleep.com. I strongly recommend checking out the full 50 minute version of Project 80; it's a whole journey, really hypnotic. I was surprised and sad to hear of Richard H. Kirk's passing last week. (Kirk was one-half of Cabaret Voltaire). I don't know his work well, but what I've heard I love. He will be missed.
I'm not sure what I'll do next week, whether I'll start the October spooky selections right away or not. It'll be something faster in either case. I'll be back with that, with the next mix, next week Thursday evening as usual. Thanks for listening and be sure to check out the full official releases of these tracks at the links above.
If you've written a response to this post then please let me know the URL:
You can also submit a "comment" webmention by pressing the button below. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear here and a copy of your comment will be stored at commentpara.de.