MTT 162 / Cautious Advance
Posted by Cameron Vanderzanden on
Tags: anonradio, breaks, dj mix, drum & bass, electro, movement through thought, music, radio, tracker music.
Fast breaks and electro, slow DnB, and a couple tracker tunes. Some weirdness.
This mix is no longer available for download here. Get in touch with me at the email address listed at the top of this page if you want a copy of it.
- Clan Of Xymox / Theme II 00:00
- Il.Ek.Tro / Threads Part One 01:27
- The Advent / Work Dat 05:10
- Black Electric / Black Electric 09:10
- Headnoaks / Power 2 Da Beatz (Disko 69 Remix) 13:13
- AS1 / Solar Lifestyle 15:40
- Thugwidow / Mother Earth Can Die For All I Care 18:55
- Silicon / Rules Of Engagement 22:34
- Dr. Futurist / Spatial Translations 26:53
- Marco Bernardi / Reality Check 29:02
- Adam Jay / Warp Drive 32:02
- dgoHn / Benny's Gone Missing 36:34
- Dune / Arsa Bamk 37:58
- Chavez / Honeynut Loops 40:28
- Omni Trio / Mystic Stepper (Feel Better) 43:17
- Aphex Twin / Polynomial-C 47:58
- Thugwidow / Temporary Conciousness 51:46
- Screwtec / Water Gate 57:12
This mix was thrown together to play tracks from I Tried Calling But Your Phone Must Have Been Off, Thugwidow's new album on No Problema Tapes. It's a cool combination of elements - modern ambient production (vaporwave?) and unusually slow jungle/DnB. Like, 1993 hardcore breakbeat slow. I'm really into it. It turns out Thugwidow has a bunch of releases, among them a sweet collab with Sangam.
Track four Black Electric is from the only release by that band, their 2000 self-titled EP on Puzzlebox. Colors and Come To Me, A2 and B1, are also great; I'm sure I'll play them here eventually. There's a bunch of Puzzlebox on Beatport but I couldn't find this one, unfortunately.
A couple of old tracker mods snuck in, specifically track 13 Arsa Bamk by Dune (best known as Brothomstates) and track 14 Honeynut Loops by Chavez. The latter of those is from the netlabel Milk, which I plan to write a post about here (eventually).
Mystic Stepper (Feel Better) is one of the few genuine breakbeat hardcore tracks I have, and the only Moving Shadow record I own. Most of Moving Shadow is available on Beatport, but this one is missing. A few alternate versions of Mystic Stepper are available: Feel Better (Foul Play Remix), Feel Good '95, and Feel Good (Original In Demand Mix), but I like the one featured here the best. And then cheating in Polynomial-C... you know, it was right there, I had to do it.
This is a pretty scatterbrained selection, and it could've used one or two more tracks to break up the long ones, but I'm happy. Good for a few hours of planning. I'll be back next week with... not sure. Something slower.
If you've written a response to this post then please let me know the URL:
You can also submit a "comment" webmention by pressing the button below. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear here and a copy of your comment will be stored at commentpara.de.